This deliciously light pear and walnut salad is a perfect summer dish.
Packed with a wide range of vitamins (A, K, and C, to name a few), as well as minerals like calcium, magnesium and iron, this deliciously light recipe with sliced pears, walnuts and blue cheese is a must for this time of year.
If you want to add a protein, I’d go with a nice piece of your favourite grilled fish or chicken.
Here’s how to make it!
- ½ cup walnuts, crumbled
- 1 pear
- 2-3 big handfuls of your favourite greens (Arugula, spinach or butter lettuce)
- ½ cup mandarin orange segments
- 1 cup of Shitake mushrooms
- 1 tbsp Dijon mustard
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 3 tsp fresh-squeezed lemon juice
- 1/3 cup blue cheese, crumbled
- Salt and fresh ground pepper to taste
- This really couldn’t be easier: First, sautée your Shitake mushrooms in a pan with a bit of extra virgin olive oil. Set aside to cool.
- To your big serving bowl, add your greens, orange segments, pear (cut into slices), walnut pieces and the crumbled blue cheese. Once mushrooms are at room temperature, add to the salad. (The reason you don’t want to add the mushrooms in right away is that the heat could wilt your greens.)
- To make the dressing, in a separate bowl, whisk your extra virgin olive oil with the Dijon mustard, lemon juice, salt and pepper until fully combined.
- Dress your salad, toss together and serve! This salad would be lovely with a chilled glass of rosé. Perfect for summertime.